8 replies to this topic

#1 Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon

Dragon Fanatic

• Super Moderators
  • 8,042 posts
  • Preference:Loli

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

So I've been noticing for years that some games I dig up won't run with a locale emulator or the Japanese System Locale, and recently I've finally figured out why: they are running on older versions of DirectX that newer Windows OS versions no longer support. Even Windows 7 only supports up to DirectX 8.

Well here's a way to fix that:
https://github.com/j...omppa/dxwrapper

Just drop the .dll's from that wrapper into the main folder of any older game you are trying to run (wherever the game's .exe is located at) and that seems to do that trick!

So if a game is immediately spitting out error messages as soon as it launches, then you might wanna try adding the wrapper. This mainly applies to any game from roughly the year 2000 or earlier. An example might be any of Ekikon Kenkyuukai's visual novels, i.e. https://atfbooru.ninja/posts/187361 (WARNING: SOUND!).

*HUGE thanks to Zixaphir who managed to unearth this amazing little wrapper for me.

EDIT: Just in case that GitHub page ever goes down I am including the download here as an attachment. I still HIGHLY advise you to go look at the GitHub page and read the instructions:
Attached File  dxwrapper20130524.zip   444.99KB   105 downloads
  • IchigoRadiance and WetZoner like this

#2 EvilChildren

EvilChildren

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

Does it work for Windows 10? I used to have Hong Fire's AppLocale when I had Windows 7, but it doesn't work when I upgraded to 10.

#3 Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon

Dragon Fanatic

• Super Moderators
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

Does it work for Windows 10? I used to have Hong Fire's AppLocale when I had Windows 7, but it doesn't work when I upgraded to 10.

I have no idea. I would guess the answer is "yes", but I'm not sure. Why not try it and let me know? :P

Windows 10 has even less legacy support for older versions of DirectX than Windows 7 does, though, so there may be some "gaps" in the versions that this program covers for it (I'm not sure).

#4 Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:32 AM

Confuesed on how to make this work the instrctions on git hub are unclear what files to use. Using windows 10. I don't know which folder go where or to take all files out of their folder just put in the same spot of the .exe is. 

This how I try setting it up but still crashes when try to get into the game fully.

lLPauUX.png

#5 Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon

Dragon Fanatic

• Super Moderators
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:16 AM

Confuesed on how to make this work the instrctions on git hub are unclear what files to use. Using windows 10. I don't know which folder go where or to take all files out of their folder just put in the same spot of the .exe is. 

This how I try setting it up but still crashes when try to get into the game fully.

http://i.imgur.com/lLPauUX.png...

You have all the files placed correctly, so if you're still crashing then one of the following is probably the cause:

----------------------

1) The game you are trying to use this for is not actually using DirectX 7, 6, 5, or any other version this wrapper supports, and thus it won't do *anything*.

2) There are other optimization and/or compatibility issues with the game and your computer's OS. Try enabling compatibility mode by right clicking on the game's .exe, and clicking properties. Windows XP Service Pack 3 would be the best option to choose, but as I understand it Microsoft has only included as far back as Windows Vista (lol). That still may help, though.
NOTE: If this doesn't fix your issue, then TURN OFF compatibility mode! It's not a good idea to keep this enabled if it isn't helping!

3) You aren't running a locale emulator for JP. Most JP games will flat out crash instantly without a locale emulator.

#6 Kirbyroth

Kirbyroth

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

Well it doesn't crash instantly it get to charater selction after that it crashes. 

#7 Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon

Dragon Fanatic

• Super Moderators
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:34 AM

Well it doesn't crash instantly it get to charater selction after that it crashes.

Sounds more like an issue with that game than anything else. Have you tried any others...?

#8 harrydick

harrydick

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Preference:N/A

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

I haven't tried with any H games, but I have had luck getting older games to run better on Wine (linux "emulator", yes I know Wine Is Not an Emulator) than I have on windows.

#9 Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon

Dragon Fanatic

• Super Moderators
  • 8,042 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

I haven't tried with any H games, but I have had luck getting older games to run better on Wine (linux "emulator", yes I know Wine Is Not an Emulator) than I have on windows.

It would depend on the reason why the game wasn't running. The issue fixed here is lack of DirectX legacy support, but there are dozens of other causes. n.nU

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guide, lolicon, game, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, DirectX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users